Create Your Own
We no longer offer Create Your Own services online but you can still get it done in over 850 stores!Search for Your Store >
What Does It Cost?
The pricing and setup fees are determined by the type of product being customized….blank hats or licensed hats (those that already have an existing team or brand mark).
Pricing for blank hat embroidery is based on the design elements used. There are three different levels of pricing and we offer volume discounts based on the quantity purchased. Each embroidery location (front, left side, right side, back) is priced separately. Quantity discounts are available for orders of 36 hats or more. All prices shown are in addition to the price of the selected hat.
TEXT ONLY: $9.99
Includes up to 3 lines of text, 25 characters per line
GRAPHIC ONLY: $11.99
Choose from the thousands of stock graphics offered online or use your own custom/company logo (additional set up fee required)
TEXT & GRAPHIC: $13.99
Includes up to 2 lines of text with one of our stock graphics or your own custom/company logo (additional set up fee required)
36-71 custom units receives 30% off
72-143 custom units receives 40% off
144 or more custom units receives 50% off
* LIDS Club members receive 20% off of the finished good if order less than 36 units.
* Volume discounts are calculated and applied only on units that contain custom embroidery.
* Under Armour products receive a maximum discount of 20%.
Pricing for licensed hat embroidery is a flat $9.99 for each embroidery location customized (front, left side, right side, back).
With a few exceptions, we do not offer volume discounts when customizing licensed hats. To determine if a licensed hat is eligible for a volume discount, look for 'Product qualifies for volume discount' under the Product Details section on the product page.
* LIDS Club members receive 20% off of the finished good.
* Not all licensed hats can be personalized. To determine if a licensed hat is eligible for personalization, look for the 'Add Custom Embroidery' button on the product page.
Digitizing Custom Artwork
To have custom artwork digitized, there is a one-time setup fee of $50.
- An image of the stitch file will be emailed to the customer.
- The setup fee will be waived for orders over 36 hats.
How Long Does It Take?
For product that is being customized or personalized with embroidery, the following timeline represent how long it takes LIDS to design and produce your order. These times are in addition to the time it takes to ship your order to you.
|12 OR LESS UNITS||13-71 UNITS||72-288 UNITS||288+ UNITS|
|6 business days||10 business days||14 business days||contact for quote|
Expedited Production Timeline
There are two ways that you can get your order faster. The first is to expedite the shipping method you choose (cutting down on the shipping time) and the second is to expedite production (cutting down the time it takes LIDS to design and produce your order). If you wish to expedite the production of your order, you can do so for a fee of 25% of your embroidery items total. If you choose this option, the following timelines represent how long it takes LIDS to design and produce your order. These times are in addition to the time it takes to ship your order to you.
|12 OR LESS UNITS||13-71 UNITS||72-288 UNITS||288+ UNITS|
|2 business days||3 business days||5 business days||contact for quote|
*Expedited production is only available for items being customized or personalized with embroidery.
How Do I Start?
LIDS makes it easy to create your own, unique one of a kind hat. We offer a wide selection of hat styles, graphics, colors and fonts to make the perfect hat for you, your team or your organization. To begin the process of creating your own hat, most customers first choose the type of hat that they wish to wear. They then use our proprietary Design Lab to create a unique design to put on the hat.
Step #1 - Choose a Hat
LIDS offers many blank hats that can be customized to your liking. Our hat selection is broken down into 3 main types adjustable, fitted and stretch-fitted. Within these types, we offer up twenty different colors depending on the style.
Step #2 - Create a Design
LIDS offers the ability to add text, graphics or both to a hat. If you're not sure where to begin, take a look at one of our 20,000+ stock graphics that we have licensed from Dakota Collectibles. These stock logos are broken down into various categories to help you find something unique. You may also browse our "Prime Designs" that we have created for a wide variety of occasions. Once you have chosen the text or logo that you wish to customize, the next step is to customize your design through our Design Lab.
To create that unique design, LIDS has developed a Design Lab which will allows you to customize your design and preview how your hat will look. Within the Design Lab you can add text or graphics, change fonts and font sizes, and change colors for both text and graphics. Please note, while the Design Lab allows you to get a good idea of what the finished product will look like, it is only a representation of the final product. We cannot perfectly simulate the finished product.
In order to give you the best possible product, our experienced designers will work diligently to assure that your design concept is maintained, but we may make a few adjustments in order to make sure that your design will stitch out well on the product you choose. The following section outlines our recommendations and guidelines for creating your hat.
If you have any special requests or design concerns, please enter those requests or concerns in the comments section of the Design Lab.
- Consider the size and shape of the graphic you wish to use before you choose a layout.
- Don't put too much text on front or back. We recommend that rather than squeeze a lot of text onto the front of the hat, split the text out on the front and back. For example, put your business name on front and Phone # on back. Making design too wordy fails to get your message across and makes text hard to read.
- When entering text please double check all spelling. We do not check spelling and will sew lettering exactly as you enter it.
- We don't recommend that you put "Text with Graphic" on back. It is preferred that you use "Text" or "Graphic ONLY" for the back. If you choose to use both, each will have to be made smaller so it will fit. Especially with adjustable hats, there typically isn't enough room to fit a graphic and lettering that can be easily read.
- Due to size restrictions, some design options that are allowed on the front of a hat will not fit on the back of a hat.
- Likewise, some design options that are allowed on the front of a hat will not fit on a visor.
- A graphic that is tall and narrow won't easily accommodate lettering above and below. Likewise, a graphic that is short and wide won't leave enough room to put lettering to either side of the graphic.
- Text will have to be made big enough that it can be read and therefore limits the amount of room that is left for the graphic. If you want your graphic to be the focal point of your design we recommend that you put text above OR below the graphic. Consider putting additional text on the back of the hat so your graphic doesn't have to be reduced in size.
- Fonts with an asterisk only have capital letters.
- Script fonts (Brody, Brushed Script, and Script MT), Old English, and Harlow work best if you do NOT use all capital letters.
- To use the Greek font open the font box and refer to the chart to see which Greek characters are created by which characters on your keyboard.
- Please refer to the size recommendations in each font by clicking on the font box. Some fonts are limited to what size letters can be used and/or how many letters will fit on each line. For example, Large block letters must be sewn at least 1" tall but we limit you to five letters per line. To try to fit more letters or to make letters smaller messes up the outline. Try the Bookman font as an alternative.
Generally speaking, and unless otherwise specified in the comments section.
- Text on the front of the hat will be between 1" and 2" tall and text on the back of a hat will be between 1/2" and 1" tall.
- Text will be centered left to right, front and back.
- Text on the front of the hat will be centered top to bottom and text on the back will still be centered left to right but will placed toward the bottom.
- So that your text has the best chance of being read, we limit each line of text to 25 characters. You may choose a different font and color for each line.
- Text will be sewn exactly as you enter it.
- Graphic size may be adjusted to accommodate the space needed to fit text.
- Text will be centered and will be sized as stated.
- If you choose to offset letters, we will use letters of equal height but due to the fact that some letters are wider than others (a "W" is twice as wide as an "I") we will center the entire design.
- All embroidery is sewn as flat and not raised or puffed
Our design team has years of experience creating custom designed hats. Every design is individually setup and by one of our experienced designers and reviewed before it goes to the production floor. We will contact you with any recommended improvements before proceeding if the designer feels that any part of your design will not sew out properly. We won't produce your item until you have been given a chance to understand what changes we recommend. We will recommend changes, but the final decision is yours.
- LIDS reserves the right to decline an order containing vulgar, profane, or inappropriate material.
- We cannot produce any logo that is trademarked or under copyright.
- We will not produce items that include names, products, images, text/slogans, or designs without written permission from the owner.
- Due to licensing and copyright laws, LIDS reserves the right to limit certain customization requests. Each professional league has its own licensing company that holds the exclusive, worldwide right to use, license and sublicense the team names and logos as well as the names, numbers, nicknames, likenesses, signatures and more of every athlete in their union. As an authorized dealer lids.com uses these logos only to describe and advertise the related merchandise. We are not allowed to customize any item in a manner that would infringe on these exclusive rights.
- We are not authorized to use any mascot logo in connection with any college or university or any professional sports team. Therefore, we will not produce orders that contain any such logo in connection with a team name, slogan, and/or colors, or otherwise uses a mascot graphic in a team context. These orders may only be produced with the express written consent of the respective institution and/or its authorized representative.
While you can choose to design your own unique hat, if you already have a logo or custom artwork that you would like to use, you can do that as well. Simply upload the logo or artwork to our website and we will digitize the design for you. Digitizing is the process of converting a logo or custom artwork into a file that can be read by an embroidery machine.
To upload a logo or custom artwork, click on the "Add Custom Artwork" button in the Design Lab.
In order to streamline the digitizing process, please adhere to the following guidelines:
- LIDS requires that images submitted for digitizing be in either a *.gif or *.jpg format and be no larger than 5MB
- The best types of images for our service are vector illustrations created in programs such as Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW. These images should be saved or exported and then uploaded in *.gif or *.jpg format. Before saving or exporting please (1) flatten the image, (2) outline fonts, and (3) convert to Pantone or RGB colors.
- Raster images, such as those created in Adobe Photoshop and CorelPHOTOPAINT, should be saved or exported as *.gif, or *.jpg files. You're best off using *.gif with a transparent background (if that is, in fact, what you want).
- Please keep in mind that for embroidery, images should only contain clear, distinct areas of color. Subtle tones and fades can't be embroidered.
- Images should be high-resolution. The final product will look best if your image is at least 200 dots per inch (DPI) at the actual size you want it.
In-store Orders Using Custom Artwork
Digitizing is also available to customers that are placing an order at a Lids embroidery location. You may either submit your artwork electronically or via mail and the digitzed artwork will be sent directly to one of our stores. Please click here to begin the digitizing process.
You will be contacted by a Lids representative to verify and approve the design submitted. If you provide an e-mail address, you will be sent the file for approval within four business days. We will need your approval before it can be sent to the store for production. If you do not provide an email address or you have mailed in your artwork, the store will contact you for approval when they store receives the digitized artwork.
Please remember that it can take up to 3 business days for delivery of the disk to the store (from the date we receive approval). You should work with the store to determine an estimated time for the completion of your order.